Monday, September 7, 2009

We'll Miss Lucas

This weekend we attended the funeral of my cousin's little baby Lucas. He was diagnosed with a rare form of cancer in June. It was a very aggressive cancer that attacked his little body. Three months were spent trying to save his sweet life, but it wasn't to be. I had an opportunity to spend a little bit of time with my cousin Shannon and Lucas while he was in a coma a few days before he passed. I felt the spirit so strong in their town home the minute I walked in the door. I could hardly hold back the tears as I waited while Shannon and Aaron talked with the hospice people. It is so hard to think of someone losing their little baby. I wanted to go visit so that I could be a support to them, I didn't want them to have to comfort me! I did lose it when I first went up the stairs, but as soon as we started talking I pulled myself together for the rest of the visit. Lucas looked so peaceful and it is wonderful that he doesn't have to be in pain anymore. I cried for the rest of the day the minute I walked out of the door. I'm sure that my tears weren't nearly as much as they have shed, but I had a good headache afterward. Shannon and Aaron are so amazing. They have the best outlook and the strongest faith. I know that they thought they would never be able to handle something like this, but the Lord has given them strength and it is evident in their stature as they are going through all of this. It is so wonderful that they have the gospel and know that they can be with Lucas again in the next life. That gives so much comfort to them at this time, although I know they'll miss him until then. They both spoke at the funeral and did such a good job. I kept thinking to myself that there is no way I could ever do that! There is a link to their blog under friends and family to the right. You should check out their whole story. Get some kleenex and be prepare to check some crocodiles. Our thoughts and prayers are still with them as they now try to get their lives back to normal. We love you Shannon, Aaron, Kaden, Jonas, and sweet Lucas!

4 comments:

lieslbmarie said...

You weren't kidding about the kleenex thing....holy cow!! What a heart-wrenching story. Such a beautiful, spiritual family that has truly humbled me and made me re-examine my life and priorities. Thank you for sharing!!

alananddanielle said...

When you hear these kind of stories, it sure makes you grateful for the blessings in your life. What an amazing strength to read of their faith as they share their story. Thanks

Unknown said...

Shannon and her family are truly an inspiration. I'm sure it's been hard on everyone. It really makes you think...

Natty bee Seely said...

Lucas is pure love. I went and read your cousin's blog. I think I might cry all night. I am so sorry. That little boy is such a beautiful gift to all who learn of his story, and his precious life.