Wednesday, September 30, 2009

CRAZY Soccer Season

Well, the dreaded soccer season starts again. Not that I don't LOVE soccer, especially watching my own kids play, but it completely wipes out eight Saturdays in the fall and eight in the spring. This year Nate's Saturday schedule changed at work so that he worked mornings instead of afternoons. This put added pressure on me. Most Saturdays we have a game that starts at 9:00am and our last game ends at 1:30pm. I usually would just pack up lunches and we would have a day of it. I had a big talk with my kids about how if they want me to watch their games that they would have to help watch Moses and Ella on the playground so that I could watch every one's games. They did a pretty good job of keeping an eye on them so that I could enjoy all of the games.
Watch out for this one! He is fierce. This picture cracks me up! What a tough guy! Isaiah had a pretty good season. It started off a little rocky because he claimed that he was tired all of the time because he had a 9:00 game every Saturday. I though this was pretty interesting considering that he wakes up on his own every day at 6:00am. I finally bribed him with an almanac and he did fabulous the rest of the season! (By the way, I don't usually bribe my kids with things like this, but I had ordered this almanac on a book order and was frustrated with him and it just sort-of happened. Oh well, it worked!)

Here's the whole team. He had quite a few friends from previous seasons on his team.
This one looks sweeter in the picture than she is on the field. She is a little firecracker out there. We love how aggressive she is. She never stops moving while she's out there. She improved so much this year and we are very proud of her!
Grace also had several friends on her team from previous years. It's fun to see them all grown up together.
Our Miles! He always tries his best at everything he does, and soccer is no exception. He is a very aggressive player as well and loves to get after the ball. He always runs around with a smile on his face too. One game he just started crying for no reason and my friend Gina went over to him and he said that his eye hurt. (This is one of the weeks that Moses and Miles had games at the same time and I wasn't there for him. I felt so bad!) Anyway, apparently he got a bee sting right under his left eye. It was pretty swollen for a couple of days, but he was so tough!
Here's the whole gang. Nate had an opportunity to help out at the practices and really enjoyed spending that time with Miles!
OK, I had my ups and downs watching Moses play soccer. At first it was just plain painful to watch him play, and then, after I got used to it, the games became quite entertaining. I have discovered through this experience that maybe football should be his sport of choice. Maybe a football player away from the ball, like on the line or something. He has no clue where the ball is the entire game. If he happens to come in incidental contact with the ball, he starts walking, tip-toeing really, with is arms up in the air as his little baby steps nudge the ball very slowly in the direction that he happens to be walking. Most of the time he focuses on all of the other kids. A tackle here, a shove there. A hug here, a poke there. He can't keep his hands off people! I was seriously frustrated throughout the beginning of the season, and then it just became humorous by the end. We'll have to see how the spring goes. He loves to go play soccer every week, but I think it's just for the treat at the end!
Here is his little team. The funniest moment of the season in my opinion was a moment in between quarters. His coach was talking with all of the boys and Moses was staring intently at his coaches face. Normally this would not look abnormal to some one else because when someone is talking to you, you look at them. Not Moses. I knew something was up. I watched him lift up his hand and point his finger and slowly bring it up to his coaches face to rub is mustache. It was hilarious. His coach was so annoyed, and he just pushed his hand away. He must have not known that Moses has a fascination with mustaches. I had to laugh at this one!

4 comments:

Tami G. said...

Sara, you're super mom. I always knew you would be! You have the perfect sized family. If I get one more girl, our family will be just like yours - let's hope the stars align. You know, there are a few songs from back in the day that make me think of you and smile. I love ya, woman!

Yvette said...

We had 3 playing soccer this season too. It was crazy. I could really relate to what you said. Especially taking the kids by myself sometimes. The picture of Isaiah cracked me up it looks like he's tough guy for sure. Just one floating in the air. Actually they all look like they are floating away.

Yvette said...

Sorry I forgot that I could also relate to Moses playing soccer. Sounds similar to some kids over here. Too funny when he touched the coaches mustache. Sounds like maybe the dude needs to not take everything so serious.

alananddanielle said...

You are amazing! I can't believe all the things you seem to always keep up with and have in order. You're a great example of a great mother.